Upcycled Tank Top
What I Used:
Plain black tank top (Walmart $3.89 I believe), bias, ribbon, straight pins, thread, 2 buttons, and a sewing machine.
Steps to make DIY tank top:
1. I used black and white gingham bias (because it’s one of my favorite Rockabilly patterns/prints!) and pinned it around the neck line, starting in the middle on the back side.
2. Press, removing horizontal pins as you go.
3. Sew closer to the inside of the tank top, not the outside edge, starting from the middle of the back side, removing your pins as you come to each one. Make sure you back-stitch where you start and finish.
4. Press it again.
5. Use a loose straight stitch, 1/4 from the edge, and sew down the entire length of ribbon (I cut my ribbon 2x as long as the piece of bias I used). Do Not back stitch! Hold the bottom thread in one hand and pull the ribbon the opposite direction with your other hand to gather, for the ruffled look.
6. When you have the ruffled look you want in your ribbon, pin it in place leaving enough space for your buttons.
7. Sew the ribbon to the tank top starting in the center on the back side, removing the pins as you get to them.
8. Hand sew the 2 buttons down the center….. and DONE!!