Late 1800’s Cleveland S.F. CO. Desk with a DIY New Look!
I got this adorable antique desk earlier this year when I was homeschooling my kids, when my mom and I saw it we knew it was perfect for my 5 year old. BUT, as many know- wood (unpainted wood) is SO NOT MY STYLE! No disrespect to the wonderful antique collectors out there that like to keep things in all their original glory… it’s just not my thing! This lovely little piece of vintage furniture is also going to go in my daughter’s room, which is why I painted it black and slapped some extra shine on it (to match her other upcycled furniture, like the vintage jewelry box from my last post). My before pictures were in my phone that got stolen a few months ago so I went online and found pictures that were the closest to what it originally looked like.
DIY Upcycling Steps:
1. Sanded the wood with fine sandpaper. I didn’t sand it alot- although I wanted to change the look with color, I wanted to keep the character the cracks and flaws give it!
2. Used Rustoleum spray primer, one light coat was all it took… just enough to have even coverage.
3. Sprayed all of it, wood and iron, with black lacquer spray paint. I did at least 3 light coats, not too much at one time to prevent drips or cracks. Allowed each layer to totally dry before moving on.
4. Used painters tape on iron/metal parts I didn’t want to get polyurethane on…
5. Did 3 layers of polyurethane on the wood parts of the chair, and at least 5 layers of polyurethane on the top of the desk and desk bench. I use the polyurethane to give the paint a super glossy look, to protect the paint and because my 5 year old is a freaking cyclone! That kid can stain, damage, ruin… ANYTHING (she sure is adorable though)!!
Learn from my impatience and take the time to take as much of your project apart as you can, BEFORE you paint. I say this because when I took my “painters” tape off the metal parts of the chair, it took some paint off in places… not dramatically but enough to where I had to spray a Q-tip with my black lacquer spray paint and touch it up (so in the end I didn’t end up saving any time by skipping that step, plus it would have looked better).
More After Pictures: